Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Divinity

  1. "In religious terms, divinity is the state of things that come from a supernatural power or deity, such as a god, or spirit beings, and are therefore regarded as sacred and holy."
    I just read a scholarly medical article, that a fellow kool parent shared on facebook, of a woman that terminated her pregnancy at 37 weeks gestation when she found out her child had Koolen syndrome. I don't normally like to pass on negativity, but my heart broke just a little thinking of one of Evey's fellow brothers and sisters not getting to experience the beauty of this life and mortality. I keep thinking if only this mother could have met Evey and other Koolen syndrome kids she would have seen their happiness and zeal for life and maybe it would have changed her mind. It is such an honor and privilege to raise Evey and our other 3 children, I love being their mother. 
    Which brings me to a treasured experience I had a couple weeks back that Nate secretly happened to catch on video. Before we left on vacation we knew Evey's rods were hurting her and something was wrong and we knew we needed a medical opinion and some prescription meds before leaving. Since her orthopedic doctor was out of town we headed up to Primary Children's Hospital ER for some X-rays and to meet with the on-call ortho. Poor Evey was so strung out and was sick and in pain and had been that way for days. While waiting in the ER she was inconsolable until I started playing my "I love you" game with her. Nate recorded it without me knowing. 

    I later told Nate in that moment, I felt for the first time, the divinity of Motherhood. I felt as close to divine as I ever have in my entire life, in that moment nothing else mattered. I knew right then and there that being a Mother truly is a divine calling. All it took to calm her for a moment was an,"I love you" over and over.  And then it got me thinking of a loving Heavenly Father who loves us and who watches over us everyday and who is there to console us on our most inconsolable days, always. I'm grateful that in our hardest moments Heavenly Father allows us to experience true divine joy that we could only recognize after the extreme sorrow. Which makes me truly appreciate the video below. We are blessed. 

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. I've been having similar thoughts lately but haven't been able to sum them up so eloquently. To feel that spark of the divine in the simple, sometimes mundane, moments is surprising, but so rewarding and enlightening. Evey is blessed to have you as her mommy-- mostly because you understand who she is and who you are becoming.

    ReplyDelete