Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Roses

    Ever since Evey's birth, we have constantly been witness to miracle after miracle and have encountered some of the most amazing people that have been put throughout our Family's journey.  In the last 2 years, I have seen our Heavenly Father's most perfect love and seen the spirit work through complete strangers.  Last week, I had another one of those moments, one of those acts that you know could only happen because of the sheer love our Heavenly Father has for each one of his children on earth.  And it is all because of some roses.
    Last Friday night, Nate and I were out with Evey on another one of our "date" nights.  We needed to stop off at the grocery store before picking up the other 3 kids.  At this point, it had gotten late, and Evey was done and had turned into cranky pants (my kids hate when I call them cranky pants).  We were checking out at Trader Joe's and there was a nice older, Asian woman, with a faint Australian accent checking us out.  She saw Evey and walked around to say hello.  Needless to say Evey wasn't the happiest and started screaming, so Nate picked her up and went to the car, so I could check out.  The nice lady saw Evey's feeding tube as Nate was leaving and proceeded to ask me about Evey.   Truth be told, I prefer when people ask about her as oppose to just stare or make some assumptive comment.
      So, I proceeded to tell her about Evey's syndrome and what it means, and then she told me she had a 33 year old daughter who was Autistic.  She went on to tell me what she sacrificed to make sure her daughter had the best life she could give and I told her, she was obviously an incredible Mom.  She ever so kindly, returned the compliment to me, and said, "I can tell you are a really good Mom, too."  In the middle of checking out, she asked me if she could give me a hug from one Mom to another, and I said sure.  As we embraced, it felt like I was getting a hug from my Heavenly Father.  I felt total peace and immediately started to weep as she hugged me.  We pulled away, and she had tears in her eyes as well.  She then told me to stay there and she ran over to the flower section and brought me a bouquet of roses.  She told me she wanted to give these to me and bought them for me.  I paid for my bill, asked her for one more hug, and told her I would never forget this for the rest of my life.  As I walked out, I silently said a prayer of thanks for this kind woman, and for an ever-loving Heavenly Father that is constantly reminding me that he is here, that he lives, and that we are his children. 
    I have had so many incredible moments like this in Evey's short 2 years, and I remember each and every one of them in exact detail.  The majority of these people I will never see again in this life, but I can't wait to see them in the next and to embrace them again and thank them for blessing our temporal lives.  More importantly, this kind woman, reminded me to be that person for someone else.  Be that person that gives a hug, that buys a stranger a bouquet of flowers, and that serves a brother and sister with Heavenly Father's perfect love. 
    We are blessed.  

1 comment:

  1. I love this story. From one caregiver to another - pure empathy which can only come from someone who walks the same path of another. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete